It’s mid April in Southwest Florida and temperatures are already soaring into the 90’s. The balmy breezes on our lanai are heavy with the promise of rain and the sweet scent of jasmine in full bloom. It’s a pretty time of year but also a promise of the scorching summer weather yet to come.
I won’t give up my desserts during the summer but I do look for lighter flavors to satisfy my cravings. White Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes inspired by the Pampered Chef are a great place to start your summer dessert planning.
These dainty white chocolate truffle cupcakes are light. They have a full chocolate flavor without the heavy stickiness of milk chocolate cake. I like to serve these cupcakes with fresh strawberries and a cool glass of lemonade.
The White Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes remind me of wedding cake. The delicate texture feels like a celebration. The soft gooey center makes you smile… and isn’t that what you want your guests to do at a party?
I served these cupcakes at the reception for our daughter Grace’s Christening with strong coffee and champagne. Another great flavor blend.
Today though, is Saturday. Reason enough to celebrate. Enjoy!
- 1¾ cup cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 12 round white chocolate truffles
- 6 ounces white chocolate
- 1 pkg cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup of butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat 325.
- Place paper liners in muffin pan.
- Whisk flour and baking soda in a small bowl. Combine milk and vanilla in a separate bowl. Beat eggs whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. In another bowl butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in sour cream until smooth. On medium speed add flour in three additions, alternating with the milk mixture in two additions. Mix until smooth. Whisk in ⅓ of the egg whites.Fold in remaining egg whites. Fill cupcake liners.
- Bake 17-20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove pan from oven. Immediately snip a ½ inch deep "X" into the top of each cupcake. Press one truffle into each until flush with the top. Remove cupcakes from pan to cool. Truffles will melt.
- To make the frosting microwave the chocolate 1½ minutes until mostly melted. Let stand 3 minutes to cool. In a medium mixing bowl combine melted chocolate, cream cheese, butter and vanilla, beat on medium speed until well blended. Slowly add powdered sugar, beat well.